Internal Penile Pump
| Internal Penile Pump
What is the Internal Penile Pump™?
The term penile implant, penile prosthesis, inflatable penile prosthesis and internal penile pump will be used interchangeably and all refer to the multicomponent inflatable penile prosthesis.
The Internal Penile Pump™ is a soft fluid-filled device (the liquid is water and salt) that can expand and contract without losing elasticity. It consists of three small components: very thin tubes, the pump, and the reservoir. The reservoir contains fluid, which is transferred by the pump into the tubes, causing the penis to expand and become rigid. There are over 250,000 men who have the Internal Penile Pump™. As you can see from the photographs
, once inserted the Internal Penile Pump™ is invisible and the penis looks normal both in the flaccid and erect positions.
Highlights of the Internal Penile Pump™
- Opportunity for spontaneous sexual activity
- Pump under the skin, totally concealed, eliminates self consciousness
- Restores normal function and anatomy
- Preserves sensation and orgasm
- Penis feels and performs naturally, looks fuller, more youthful and totally normal -
- Patients and partners praise improved quality of life
- Huge number of urological journal articles dating back to 1973 documenting the reliability, safety, and efficacy of the Internal Internal Penile Pump™
- Covered by most insurance carriers including Medicare and Medicaid
Candidates for the Internal Penile Pump™
The Internal Penile Pump™ enables men who suffer from severe erectile dysfunction
to resume a normal spontaneous sex life. Excellent candidates are men who have permanent erectile dysfunction, sexually motivated and active men who have had prostate
, bladder or colon cancer treatment and men who have penile deformity
and or atrophy. This also includes men who have vascular disease from diabetes
, hypertension, heart disease, and elevated cholesterol levels. All men who suffer from erectile dysfunction due to a physical problem and who do not respond, tolerate or are tired of taking medications
are excellent candidates for the internal penile pump.
How It Works During Sexual Activity
When a man is sexually aroused, all he has to do is squeeze the pump between the thumb and index finger, and an erection occurs. It looks and feels
so normal that many patients report that even after sexual activity, a new partner could not tell that an Internal Penile Pump™ was present. When the erection is no longer desired, the patient squeezes and holds the pump, which releases the fluid back into the reservoir and brings the penis back to a flaccid state. The patient controls the duration of the erection. If a patient has an orgasm too quickly, the erection is not lost, and the patient is able to maintain it until his partner is satisfied.
How is it Placed?
In our center, it is an outpatient procedure
, which usually takes less than one hour, and can be performed under local, epidural, spinal or general anesthesia. The complete Internal Internal Penile Pump™ is placed through a very small opening, usually an inch long, in the scrotal sac. This is a breakthrough when compared to previous techniques, which made much larger openings that required longer and a more painful healing process. The skin on the penis itself is never opened so that there are no visible scars.
How Does it Look and Feel?
After complete healing, men with an Internal Penile Pump™ are very comfortable, and report that they do not feel that there is something inside. Sexual activity can commence 3 to 4 weeks after the procedure. The penis looks and feels
so natural that patients can engage in any activity including scuba diving, skydiving, bicycling, horseback riding, and wrestling. Grandfathers report that grandchildren can sit on their lap without worrying that the children will feel or notice anything unusual.
Additional Patient Benefits
In addition to the remarkably normal and natural look
and feel of a penis with the Internal Penile Pump™, prospective patients should also be aware of a number of additional benefits:
- A flaccid or soft penis with an Internal Internal Penile Pump™ will be bigger than it was before the procedure. This is an added benefit for men who have experienced shrinkage, narrowing, and shortening of the penis following prostate cancer treatment, or men who suffer from Peyronie's disease or from a chronic lack of adequate blood flow. This gives the penis a fuller, more youthful looking shaft.
- Should orgasm and ejaculation occur too quickly, the pump maintains the erection until it is no longer desired; in fact, patients report enhanced sexual endurance.
- Use of the Internal Penile Pump™ is much more convenient than other treatments including penile self-injection and external vacuum pump. There is nothing to carry, nothing to forget at home, and it's ready when you are.
- For many men who have chronic conditions such as prostate or colon cancer, and who require medical monitoring, an Internal Penile Pump™ will solve the erectile dysfunction, and the patient will have one less medical problem to be concerned with. They are cured of their erectile dysfunction.
Procedure Safety and Length of Use
Although the Internal Penile Pump™ procedure is very successful and safe, like any other treatment, there are a few side effects to be aware of. The most serious side effect that can occur is an infection though less than 1 percent
of patients under Dr. Eid's care have experienced this problem. If the infection is located in the skin, an antibiotic usually will solve the problem. If the infection is deeper and affects the Internal Penile Pump™, then it will need to be removed and replaced with a non-infected Internal Penile Pump™.
Malfunction rates are low, less than 5 percent for the first five years. However, all Internal Penile Pump™'s eventually wear out. In general, they will last for 8 to 12 years; like any device, the more it is used, the sooner it will need replacement. However, the Internal Penile Pump™ is easily removed and replaced in the same fashion as the original.